Monday, May 25, 2015

Big Girl?

(Yes, I realize the pacifier saga should probably be written in a baby book instead of on a blog.  However, since the 3rd child will probably never see her baby book, here goes...)



Over the last several months, Kate's love for a pacifier was intensifying.  I kept saying that we were almost done with it, but I'd always find an excuse just to let her keep it a little longer.   Kate started getting to the point where to be content, she needed to have one in her mouth and hold a couple in each hand.  It was extreme, but it kept her happy, so we went with it.  One night though, I had tucked her in with only two (one in her mouth and one in her little hand).  A few minutes later, she stood in her crib and started calling me back to her bedroom.  I walked in and she said, "Need more pacifiers, Lindsey!"  It was that night that I decided the end was near...very near...REALLY this time.

I purchased a "Blue's Clues" dog and had it hiding in a closet, thinking that when the big day finally came, she could trade in her pacifiers for a new stuffed friend to sleep with, cuddle with, cling to, etc.

One day, I was cleaning, when Kate got into the closet and found her Blue's Clues friend.  She was thrilled!  I hadn't planned for that day to be THE DAY, but I decided we had to go for it.  I explained that this was her big girl toy and that she had to exchange her pacifiers for it.  Much to my surprise, she quickly pulled the pacifier out of her mouth and happily handed it to me and hugged her friend Blue.  Less than five minutes later, she put Blue down and was asking for her pacifier back.  I explained again what had happened and that she was a big girl now.  She threw Blue back in the closet and started crying like crazy.  "PUT HIM AWAY!"  "HE'S YUCKY!"   "I NOT BIG GIRL!"

 After several minutes of wailing, Natalie even begged, "Please!  Just give her a pacifier back!"  
I did what every good mom would do and got out the video camera to capture her tantrum.  I also stuck to my guns, and we are now about three weeks out without the plug!  She asked for her pacifier the first week, had nothing to do with "Yucky Blue" and would always deny being a big girl.  This past week though, Blue has made it's way into HER closet, she hasn't asked for her pacifier, and today she randomly told me that she was a BIG GIRL!  :)



Hooray!  Kate...(or maybe I should say)..."WE" did it!:)  



No comments:

Post a Comment